About our academic programme
Drama for Life rejects functional interpretations of Applied Drama that reduce the field to a limited technical approach. Applied Drama is about the creation of critical reflective pedagogies, spaces and aesthetic forms that give rise to alternative ways of being in the world.
Study at Drama for Life, Wits University
Drama for Life, based at the University of the Witwatersrand, is an arts centre for social transformation and healing. Our postgraduate academic, research and community engagement department brings together the disciplines of Applied Drama and Theatre, Performance Ethnography, Performance as Research, Arts Education, Drama Therapy and Expressive Arts Therapies within the context of a critical reflexive praxis.
2018 Admissions for the Drama for Life Postgraduate Programme
We invite all interested outstanding performers, theatre-makers, performing arts managers, arts educators, community-based theatre practitioners and drama facilitators working in capacity development, HIV/AIDS, civic society, health education, arts therapies, universities and arts and culture to apply for admissions and become part of Africa’s future generation of artistic leaders through the Drama for Life Postgraduate Programme.
Drama for Life has alumni and scholars from 19 countries, namely Botswana, Cameroon, Ghana, DRC, Kenya, Namibia, Swaziland, Lesotho, Mozambique, Malawi, Tanzania, Zambia, Rwanda, South Africa, Uganda, Israel, Germany Zimbabwe and Nigeria.
2018 Academic Curriculum
- Postgraduate Diploma in Arts in the field of Applied Drama and Theatre (AXA00)
- Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) Drama Method in partnership with the Wits School of Education (HX000)
- Bachelor of Arts with Honours in the field of Applied Drama: Theatre in Education, Communities and Social Contexts (AHA00)
- Bachelor of Arts with Honours in the field of Drama Therapy (AHA00)
- Master of Arts in the field of Applied Drama: Theatre in Education, Communities and Social Contexts (ACA00)
- Master of Arts in the field of Drama Therapy (ACA00)
- Master of Arts in Dramatic Art by Creative Research and Dissertation (ARA08)
- PhD by Creative Research and, or Dissertation (ADA02)
Dates and Deadlines
October 2018 for 2019 degree programmes – international applications
November 2018 for 2019 degree programmes – South African citizens
Wits Financial Aid, Scholarships and Residence
Apply via self-service.wits.ac.za before 31 October 2018 for 2019 intake
Prospective students apply online; the application process is managed by the Wits Student Enrolment Centre, Ground Floor, Solomon Mahlangu House.
Submit a postgraduate online application at www.wits.ac.za/applications
Upload application documents on self-service.wits.ac.za
For academic degree enquiries, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call +27 (0)11 717 4755